Saturday, October 11, 2008

Abigail Means Wise Woman

Today I was thinking about naming our children. When Richard and I named our three little angels, we always chose a biblical component with significant meaning. As the title of this post says, Abigail means wise woman. Please refer to 1 Samuel 25 for the story. I pray every day that the Lord would restore Abigail to be the wise woman God created her to be. And I believe he is answering that prayer even now.

Last Monday we visited the Perlman Center. It went very well, and as a result Abigail will be starting her Speech and Occupational therapy with them on October 23rd. While we were at the Perlman Center, Abigail turned her eyes or her head to whomever was speaking. We also discovered that Abigail blinks for the answer yes, and holds her eyes open for no. It is great to be able to start an effective form of communication! We also tried several switches and a communication device called a talk back. You pre-record options like, "roll the ball to me", "I'm all done", and "here it comes" and then she uses a switch to select her response. I cannot tell you how excited we are!

We have weaned another medicine, Risperadol, and hope to start weening the Valium after our next doctor visit on the 20th. This should really increase her alertness! We will also have another weigh in at that time to see how the change in formula has effected Abigail's growth. Thank you, by the way, to those of you who sent Abigail some new clothes. She is definately a girly girl, and loves new clothes!

In other news, Levi is walking around and gets into everything. Josiah is a talker and as his grandmother says has, "Great Verbal (Berbal) skills". Richard and I have been having a lot of discussions about me getting a job a couple of nights a week to add to our income and get out of the house for a little adult time. We had considered nursing, since I can work for Abigail and stay at home, but the schooling (18 months nights) is just not an option right now. So I may explore going back to the lab (since that is my degree anyway and I love it!). Please keep us in your prayers as we consider what is best for our family and which direction the Lord would have us go.

Maybe I can try to get some pictures and post them next time. Happy Saterday everyone!

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Dear Mom

The update on your sweet Abigail is so uplifting and just warms my heart to read . Abigail means wise woman now thats a cool my name and I am sure it fits Abigail just right .My name Patricia means Noblewoman . That is a strong sounding meaning I know but some days its just hard being a Noblewoman and I settle on just being me . I want you to know I have prayed for Abigail and the rest of your family everyday since I first learned of the tragic accident . The love and care you have gave Abigail as a Mother has brought her back one tiny step at a time and will bring her full circle one day . I so wish I could just give you a hug and say great job Mom . I would love to see some pics of your beautiful baby girl as well as some of those handsome boys . Just know your family is thought of everyday by this lady in Hamilton Ohio . Sending hugs and Special prayers to our Abigail . God bless

Happy said...

Abigail is definitely a wise person. She is recovering very well and regaining everything that she lost and more. She is completely healed by Jesus' stripes.

Praise God for the good visit at the Perlman Center and that Abigail will begin speech and occupational therapy with them on Oct. 23.

Praise God that Abigail is able to turn her eyes and her head to look at the person who is speaking to her. She is learning communication skills before she is able to speak.

Praise God that Abigail is able to communicate with her eyes to answer "yes" or "no".

Praise God that Abigail is being weaned off all medications and becoming more alert. That is so exciting!!!

Praise God that as Abigail becomes more alert and more active, her weight will become normal. She will be able to eat without the feeding tube.

Praise God that Josiah is a talker and that he has good verbal skills.

Praise God that Levi is walking. It is so sweet to watch little ones learn to walk and talk.

Praise God that He is the provider of all of the needs of this family. He has good plans for their present and future. He will give them wisdom regarding if and where Mom should work.

Happy said...

Praise God that Abigail is healed by Jesus' stripes. At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, but Jesus said, "I have come that you (Abigail) might have life and have it more abundantly." Praise God that His Word will not return to Him void, but it will accomplish what it was sent to do.

The enemy can't stand up against the Name of Jesus, the Word of God and the Blood of Jesus. There is power in the Blood of Jesus for healing, deliverance from the enemy's attacks, and restoration of what the enemy has stolen.

Every good gift and every perfect gift comes from the Father in heaven. He is always giving good gifts to his children.

Shalom -- nothing missing, nothing broken